Wednesday, August 26, 2015

This is the info I provided at the end of class. I have added additional notes as well.

Dates to remember
Summer Reading Due: Tuesday, September 1
Special Circumstances Summer Reading Due: Monday, September 14
Student Interest Survey Due: Sunday, August 30
Syllabus agreement due: Tuesday, September 1
Into the Wild book due IN-CLASS Tuesday, September 8
                **Please bring to class every day until we are finished discussing**

For next class:
You will be writing 2 essays, each for 40 minutes. I will tell you when you need to move on to the next essay. Please come ready to write. I will not have long to pass out/pick up essays.
1.       Rhetorical analysis
a.       Read the prompt thoroughly, think about what it is asking you to do. Think about the time period Price is writing about. Can that provide any insight into her purpose?
b.      Write a specific thesis and use the assertion, evidence, commentary format in your paragraphs.
c.   You will be asked to read a short passage and write an essay within that 40 min.
d.   Your essay should have a brief intro, brief conclusion, and 2-3 body paragraphs.
e.   You will be assessed on your analysis, not length.
f.    I will be using the AP rubric (scoring 1-9), corresponding points are: 9=50 pts, 8=48, etc. 
2.       Argument
a.       Make sure you understand the quote by Horace; try not to focus on just one part of the quote, but everything he says.
b.      Write a specific thesis and use the assertion, evidence, commentary format in your paragraphs.

c.       Avoid being simplistic. This is a complex idea and should be treated accordingly.
d.   Your essay should have a brief intro, brief conclusion, and 2-3 body paragraphs.
e.   You will be assessed on your analysis, not length.
f.    I will be using the AP rubric (scoring 1-9), corresponding points are: 9=50 pts, 8=48, etc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment